History of Sangrur
Since the present Sangrur District contains areas of erstwhile Phulkian States of Patiala, Nabha and Jind, and Mohammedan State of Malerkotla, its history is linked with the history of the above States. However, its main link is with the Phulkian States. Sangrur proper was once the headquarters of the Phulkian State of Jind. Phul, whose name means 'blossom', was the grand common ancestor of the Phulkian Sardars. He was blessed by the Guru Har Gobind, and from him many noble houses trace their descent. He left six sons, of whom Taloka was the eldest, and from him descended the families of Jind and Nabha States. From Rama, the second son, sprang the greatest of the Phulkian houses, that of Patiala. The four other sons only succeeded to a small share of their father's possessions. Like other Phulkian States, the history of Jind State dates back to 1763 when the Governor of Sirhind, a protege of Ahmed Shah Abdali was defeated by the Sikhs and the province of Sirhind was partitioned among the Phulkian Sardars.
Sangrur was Capital of erstwhile Jind State and Raja Raghbir Singh kept his residence here. His elevation as Chief of State took place on 31.3.1874. It was he, who built a beautiful town constructing a bazaar on the pattern of famous pink city Jaipur with pucca shops. In those days there used to be located gates, temples and Gurudwaras on all four corners of city. The State was ruled by various Rulers prior and after Raja Raghbir Singh. At the time of independence, Raja Ranbir Singh was ruler of Jind State. With the integration of princely States of Patiala, Nabha, Jind, Kapurthaia, Kalsian, Nalagarh, it became a part of Pepsu State.
The Patiala and the East Punjab States Union, or the PEPSU as it was popularity called, had come into existence on 20 August 1948, with the integration of the Princely States of Patiala, Nabha, Jind, Faridkot Kapurthala, Kalsia, Nalagarh and Malerkotla. This union came into being under the active guidance of Sardar Vallabha Bhai Patel who was then Home Minister and incharge of Indian State Department. Maharaja Yadavindra Singh of Patiala was appointed as the Rajparmukh (Head of State). Similarly, Malerkotla, an independent erstwhile princely Muslim State, was declared a Tahsil of the Sangrur District. At this time, the Jind State with minor variation was changed into Sangrur District. Some of the parts of the erstwhile Jind State were ceded to Mohindergarh District (Haryana) and Sunam, Bhawanigarh, Tapa and Barnala area formerly a part of erstwhile princely state of Patiala were attached to the Sangrur District. Now Jind and Narwana are not the part of this District.
When the city was built, it was a walled city with gates in four directions. There was a Gurudwara and Temple built on each gate. With the passage of time, the gates have been demolished, but the Gurudwaras and Temples still exist and the Priests thereof are paid salary by the Government.
There is an ancient Temple of Maha Kali Devi Ji built in 1867 where the people of area regularly pay obscene.
There is a unique institution known by the name of 'Nagan Baba Ki Samadh'. It houses a Samadh, a Temple as well as Gurudwara and large numbers of the devotees visit the place daily.
"The Darbar Hall built in or around 1865 still exists and is used as Museum". The roof of the Hall is beautifully painted and gives the look of fresh golden paint. "Takhat constructed in the Hall for sitting of Raja is still there and it looks as if the same has been recently built. Adjoining the Darbar Hall, there is a 'Banasar Baag' in which marble baradari is surrounded by a big water channel. Now the said place has been used as a tourist attraction with the plying of paddle boats there.